Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Apparently, it's been too long.


It turns out, when you try to juggle more than one project at a time, it doesn't leave much time for storytelling, which is kind of a big deal when the crux of your business model is telling stories..... well that, and renovating really neat homes, but then again I didn't name this business "Really Neat Homes" now did I.  See the problem? Lucky for me, we are less than a week away from the New Year when I will once again reprioritize, reorganize and resolute* every facet of my life in an attempt to become the very best version of myself, so I'm sure I will figure out how to fit some writing time in then.
       *res·o·lute   /ˈrezəˌl(y)o͞ot/   verb.  The act of Niki making a resolution to correct every poor or less than ideal habit in her life. Historically, most will be debunked by the end of the first week BUT that fact will not deter her from believing that this year will be different. 

But until then, I'll give you a quick update:

On the current home front:
Let's just say, on most days our Little House on Duncan Street looks more like the home of Sanford and Son than the Ingalls family.  Although we have all been doing a pretty good job with our weekly chores the place always seems messy, cluttered, and a tad bit smelly. In an effort to not add additional "stuff" to our small space I refrained from decking our halls this year for Christmas. Instead of dragging out the 30 boxes of Christmas decor we simply set out our Nativity scene and a pencil slim Christmas tree decorated with 1 sorry strand of Christmas lights, our 25-day advent bags, and any Christmas cards that we received.



I told myself that by simplifying our Christmas decor it would help us really focus on the "reason for the season" but I'll be honest the whole family agrees it just didn't feel like Christmas this year. I truly believe this noticeable dip in Christmas Spirit was due solely to a glitter and garland deficiency. Therefore, Christmas decor has been added to the ever-growing list of things our "little house" has taught us to not take for granted in our future home along with a dishwasher, microwave, gas range and a greater potty to body ratio.

Speaking of our future home, let's check in on Carl Stuart.
Things seem to be moving at a snail's pace but a lot has happened since the last time I updated this blog.  I believe the last picture I posted on here was this one:



I am happy to report we are now fully roofed and cladded.



Still quite a bit to do on the exterior but you can kinda see what we are going for here.

On the inside, drywall has defined and transformed the space.  It's amazing how much bigger a space feels when you raise the roof.

Here was the kitchen and living room space before:



And now that same space:




We are hoping David, our flooring guy, will wrap up tiling this week so he can start installing those piles of acclimated hardwood flooring by next week.  There is still a ton to do but I'm crossing my fingers that we will be moving in by the end of February.

But the real exciting news has been happening over on Davis Street:

Last week the framing (led by G-star construction) started. Framing is always sooo exciting because in a matter of hours the entire space can be transformed. It is wild to watch a space go from this (+ slab):


To this by the end of one day:


Inside, it looked like a 2x4 jungle while the framing crew put up a gazillion temporary walls to support the roof while they installed 24" laminated beams that spanned the length of the house to open up the space.



But now the old girl feels brand new with her wide open floorplan.






The first phase of framing will be wrapping up by the end of this week, therefore, the electrical, mechanical, and plumbing teams should be moving in by the end of next week.


via GIPHY

Things are getting exciting.....

That's all I have time to tell ya right now. I sure hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I look forward to visiting with you more in the New Year!




No comments:

Post a Comment