Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 27, 2018

What have I done?


Please pardon the grammatical massacre that is about to occur. I do not have time to write something clever or worry about punctuation or run on sentences (not that that is ever high on the priority list here at two-story sister). I just need to vent my worries and concerns about our Carl Stuart home before too many of you drive by and think "what in the world?!?!"

First of all.... Just so you know, as I stood before the almost finished framing of the garage + bonus room addition an hour ago, I too thought "What in the world?!?!" Followed immediately by "What have I done?!?!" Here is the deal.... it's too late to turn back now, so I feel like I should at least explain why I thought this would be a good idea..... so at least you can sympathize and still want to be my friend.

You see....From the beginning, I have felt that this house had a hint of a mid-century vibe. I think it stems from the low pitch hip roof.

Here's a better picture of the roof taken during demolition.


I'll admit it bothered me a little that the house was built in 1978, not exactly "mid-century," but then again sometimes Arkansas can be a little behind the times in design, so I could see how a mid-century house could pop up close to the 80s.  

So just like that a mid-mod story started taking shape in my head.  The challenge was the current footprint did not meet our family's long-term needs, so we decided we needed to expand.  This led to the decision to add on a second story. The problem with this decision was it would mess with the roof line that inspired the original design story. So I had to come up with a new roofline that still complied with the mid-century style. 

ENTER the monoslope or shed roofline.  



Photo cred: Pinterest

VERY mid mod but NOT something we see every day in our neck of the woods. So then I lost many, MANY nights sleep trying to decide if we should go "all in" on the design story with the monoslope roof or play it "safe" with a gable style roof. On the one hand, I LOVE to try new design styles and like to challenge myself and others to not be afraid to try new things. But on the other hand- the hand with ALL my fingers, (yes, I was born with only 4.5 fingers on my right hand- freaky I know, one day I'll show you but for now try to stay with me) I feared this highly visible house would stand out too much and read "showy." But then again, we aren't exactly in a subdivision so if ever there was a place to try out a new style this would be it.  In the end, we decided to go for it.

Aaaaaand now I am second guessing this decision.  The garage addition looks HUGE and really dramatic (thus "showy")! I am trying to not go in full panic mode by telling myself that it just looks massive next to the low pitch of the current house and that it will all make sense once the main house is renovated. But it didn't help when Rory, who is usually the one to calm me down and assure me everything is going to be ok, said, "maybe we should just bulldoze the whole thing and start over."  I'm just going to go ahead and declare this a no sleep night. sigh.

I have more to say, but for now, I will leave it at that. 

Thanks for listening. 









No comments:

Post a Comment