Powered by Blogger.

Friday, August 26, 2016


I'm not gonna lie, these last 3-4 weeks have been ROUGH at our Ash St project.  I have purposely avoided writing an update because it would have come across as a great big ole' pity party, and I know you have enough troubles of your own without having to read about mine.  So I'll just give you a quick recap to catch you up.... it was basically groundhogs day around this rehome so just play the following scene over and over about 21 times and you will be caught up.

EVERY day I would walk into a scene much like the picture below:


I would spend the next couple of hours hauling buckets full of plaster to the dumpster.  Then after it was all cleaned up, inevitably someone would need to knock down more plaster to run more wires, pipes, duct, etc. and we would be back to square one.








Then, just when we thought we had made it to the end of demo, it was brought to our attention that this 90 year old home had no insulation in the walls.  What's the point in having a brand new HVAC system if it won't be able to run efficiently because of loss of air through the walls?  So we ended up knocking down all the remaining plaster on the exterior walls so that the insulation could be installed. Sigh.

The moral of the story is: if ever you run across a house with lath and plaster walls- RUN! Demo is usually fun but this went from fun to mind numbing really quick.

On the bright side this rehome has afforded me ample opportunities to exercise perseverance.... just not sure I always seized the joy in the trials (James 1: 2-4).
Also thanks to the NEVER ENDING demolition I had a record fit bit month.

You'll be happy to know I packed up my violin last Thursday when I handed the keys over to the drywallers to start officially putting this house back together.  

Since the drywall was going up on the inside my goal for this WWYWW was to get the outside ready for paint.  So Wednesday morning as I was lying in bed planning out our work day I took a mental walk around the property to see if there was anything else that needed to be worked on before I turned it over to Nicholas for paint, and that's when I remembered the wonky trim on the back porch. You can see from the picture below it looks like there use to be a door opening to the right of the current door and a previous owner slapped some plywood up to cover the opening and called it good.  It functions but just isn't cute.
  

We had our mission. I had thought this project would take all day, but can I just tell you Mr Thompson and his personal cheerleader had the old trim torn off, the siding clipped back, and the new board and batten and trim back up in less than 2 hours.  Boom!  

Here is a picture of my man in action:

And here is a picture of Rory with his new hammer and the after project in the background minus a few pieces of trim and of course paint.  


Because we had so much time left in our WWYWW we spent the rest of the afternoon fixing the back deck.  There were several rotted boards and the center of the deck was caving in (kicking myself for not getting a picture).  We replaced the rotted boards and Rory added several center supports underneath the deck to give it a level and firm foundation.  

So there you have it, not the most glamorous WWYWW but it was soooo nice to be in fixing mode after endless weeks of demolition.  Things should be rocking and rolling from here on out.  Should be ready for the big reveal in about 6 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment